Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Night Nurse (1931)

The Night Nurse might be the quintessential pre-code film. It was made at Warner Brothers a studio that in the early thirties had the reputation of being the poor cynical younger brother of MGM, and not quite so down and out as Columbia. It's got sex, violence, a worldly wise view of morality and Barbara Stanwyck and Clark Gable before they became screen legends. It was also directed by the great William Wellman (Wings, The Public Enemy) who keeps thing everything hopping at a lively pace and gives us some camera acrobatics, in the form of an Ambulance eye view of the city streets. Barbara Stanwyck plays Laura Hart, a young idealistic nurse who tries to play by the rules. Her best friend, the more worldy Maloney, (Joan Blondell), rolls her eyes through her Florence Nightengale pledge and does her best to keep Laura out of grasp of the interns who regard the stable of nurses at a teaching hospital as their private property. One night in the emergency room, Laura patches up a bootlegger (Ben Lyon) with a gunshot wound and "forgets" to the proper paperwork. Taking this risk she earns his undying gratitude and love, a connection which will continually save her bacon as she gets mixed up in a murder scheme to rob two little heiresses and their mother. Clark Gable plays Nick, the Chauffer, and chief villain. Gable is threatening force, looking a tad like a Nazi in his shiny boots and chauffer's jodpurs. He's wastes no time in roughing up Laura when she threatens to expose his scheme. I'm glad didn't wind up playing villains in films, but it's interesting to see that he could do that job just as well as the lovable rogue who floutes the rules and saves day.

4 comments:

kda0121 said...

I love Night Nurse. It has everything you want from Stanwyck and a precode movie. It was fun seeing Gable as a heavy, but I too am glad they saw his potential as the hero. As an added bonus, it has Joan Blondell, whom I absolutely adore.

Jennythenipper said...

It is a fun movie and yet the fantasy of it fits so perfectly into the times: the idea that a young powerless girl, bends the rules to help a powerful and dashing criminal who can automatically make all her problems go away. I think it epitomizes the desperate frustration with the system that was after all allowing people to starve in the early thirties. In a way the idea of two wealthy children starving to death in the midst of plenty is a bit of a metaphor for the great depression. Before Capra came along with his "community is the answer" pictures people looked outside the law for a way to beat the system.

AbbyNormal said...

This one is in the queue and I am really looking forward to this one as well. Will let you know if I have anything to add, but it sounds like a great one.

AbbyNormal said...

I just finished watching "Night Nurse" (finally - I am a loser) and the pre-code documentary "Thou Shalt Not". Both were very interesting. I have a great love for Stanwyck - I find her so darn cute and sassy. I totally agree with you about Gable looking remniscent of a Nazi. I will admit I had a little trouble getting into the film in the beginning, but it didn't take me long to correct the problem. By the ending, I was rooting for the bootlegger to, uhm, take care of the problem and I am glad he didn't disappoint.

An interesting movie find and I look forward to more pre-code Stanwyck. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention!