Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Fandom Secrets: Classic film edition

Grey Coupon (best screen name ever) on the skiffy Battlestar boards recently posted a link to this awesome website fandom secrets. People log in anonymously and post secrets that they would never want to admit to their fandoms. Most of the postings are about obscure anime or Doctor Who, but the occasional classic movie secret pops up.

So I decided to start my own secret livejournal community where you can log in anonymously and post stuff about classic movies that you maybe don't want to admit to people who know your online self. Truth be told, I've already told all the world all my worst classic film secrets. If you don't believe me, I direct you to the following posts about Gregory Peck and Submarine films. I may throw a few up there myself just to get you started. The one I posted here came from Fandom secrets, though for the life of me I can't imagine a fandom where people would ridicule you for preferring Cary Grant over the stars of Pirates of Caribbean. Perhaps its that this person is very young and feels embarrassed that they have a crush on a dead guy. Welcome to my life, anonymous 14-year -old POTC fan, welcome to my life.

While we are on the topic, I'd like to say that I actually invented my own fandom secrets, when I was a teenager. I kept a photo album with all my weird celebrity crushes called "secret loves." There was the movie star that I adored (Bill Murray) even though he was way outside the realm of traditionally handsome. There was the couple I shipped because I worshipped her fashion sense and his taste in old movies (Laura Holt and Remington Steele), the dead guys (Laurence Olivier, Cary Grant) and the handsome and distinguished newscaster who was only a few years younger than my dad (Tom Brokaw). About that last secret, I will now confess in this very public space that when I visited Mount Rushmore as a teenager I made my friend sit through the entire educational film at the visitor center because it was narrated by a certain South Dakota native.

3 comments:

rab693 said...

I didn't post it, but the fandom secret you displayed could have been mine. In my case, the infatuation with Cary Grant has been a fairly recent development after a lifetime of loving all classic movies. I was the nerdy teenager who disdained teen fan clubs, and now I am a middle-aged obsessed fan! How did this happen? Is it part of a mid-life crisis? My family thinks I'm nuts and I don't discuss it much with anyone else. This is why I love to read your blogs - it's comforting to know there are other obsessed movie fans out there!

JavaBeanRush said...

You love Remington Steele?! So do I!

I've only just bought all 4 1/2 seasons on DVD and I am watching them in order. I haven't finished yet, but I'm having a blast!

Jennythenipper said...

I say embrace your obsessions rab693. It could be worse. You could be obsessing over something far less healthy.

Java Bean, Remington Steele rocks my world. I stopped rewatching in early season 4 because I know the show goes down hill a bit and I want to have something left.