Monday, February 22, 2010

Not Seeing Avatar?

Forbidden Planet: Just one of the many movies I'd rather be watching than Avatar.

I don't really have anything against James Cameron or mega blockbusters. I don't hate Avatar. (How could, I haven't seen it.) I just don't have any interest in seeing this movie. I felt the same way about Titanic, and I managed to avoid seeing that. When Titanic took over the world, I made a little web page, "The last people on Earth who haven't seen Titanic." So I thought I'd do it again.

Maybe it's just that I don't like being bossed around. So many people have said, "oh you have to see Avatar." That kind of word of mouth praise, just works in reverse for me. Please don't flood this page with comments about how great Avatar is, ok. I just don't care. If you do want to comment about some other sci fi movies, classic film or even movies in general, then please, by all means, go for it.

I'm also starting a Facebook group as a place for people to hang out who are not seeing Avatar. It's gonna be a whole thing, I promise.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I should have had a similar "don't tell me to see Avatar" disclaimer on Facebook, no sooner did I join the group and someone left a message on my status telling me I should see it.

Makes me think these people are getting brainwashed when they go into the theater and put those glasses on...

Jennythenipper said...

What a great sci fi movie THAT would make Kate.

Cliff Aliperti said...

Okay, I'm hesitant to join the group just because I don't have a problem with seeing Avatar ... just paying to do so. I'm fine waiting for it to hit Netflix or even HBO. Of course my Avatar loving friends will then tell me I've missed the entire point.

Here's my point. This picture garnered 2-1/2 star reviews everywhere I looked upon release. And basically most of those reviews said that rating was propped up because of the effects, all remarked that the story was weak. Suddenly it's the Oscar favorite? I must confess this is a turn-off and moved it from the "I don't really care" category over to the "I'm rooting hard against this one" grouping.

But I will watch it ... one day.

PS: The hell with it, I'm joining the group.

Jennythenipper said...

Woooh, in your face James Cameron. Go Cliff!

Ellinor Forje said...

I like the Dracula post. I'm doing something on it for Halloween. So stop by mine then, if you have time.

Cheers

ZHENYA ZHURAVLYOVA said...

классный блог!))

Luna Tiger said...

I saw this movie and I love his vintage style !
http://selenite.weebly.com/